Real Food Spaghetti Pie
This innovative spaghetti pie is made with noodles straight from a squash…not a package! It’s a fun way to serve a traditional, comfort meal without the guilt. Dinners like this are a wonderful way to quickly achieve your fat loss goal.
Here’s what you need…
- 1 organic spaghetti squash
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 clove garlic
- dash of pepper
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 ounces ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 Tablespoons flax meal
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Wash the spaghetti squash, slice in half lengthwise and bake cut-side up in a 375 degree F oven for 40 minutes, or until tender. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Discard the cashew soaking water. Combine the cashews, lemon juice, water, olive oil, salt, paprika, garlic and pepper in a blender. Mix until completely smooth. Set the cheese spread aside.
- In a large skillet warm the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add the ground turkey and cook until the meat is brown and onion is tender. Stir in fennel seeds, tomato sauce, and oregano. Heat through. Remove from heat.
- Use a fork to scrape the spaghetti squash strands from the squash skins and place in a medium bowl. Add the eggs, flax meal and nutritional yeast. Mix until fully incorporated. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with coconut oil. Press spaghetti squash mixture onto the bottom and up sides of pie plate, forming a crust. Spread the meat mixture over the crust. Sprinkle with the cheese spread.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and heated through. Slice into wedges to serve.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 289 calories, 19g fat, 347mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, and 16g protein