Healthy “Fried” Chicken
This recipe meets all 5 of the steps to a healthy dinner. By baking the chicken and using low-carb flours, this recipe has half of the calories and 80% less fat than traditional fried chicken. Serve with a side of vegetables and a salad.
Here’s what you need…
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons fruit-only apricot preserves
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless organic chicken tenders
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 13″x9″ baking pan with coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl whisk the eggs, apricot preserves, mustard, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes.
- In another medium bowl combine the almond flour, almond meal, coconut flour, pepper, thyme, paprika and salt.
- Dip each chicken tender in the egg mixture, then dredge through the flour mixture. Place in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Change oven to high broil for 2 minutes, flip each chicken tender and broil the other side for 2 minutes.
- Serve with a side of sugar-free BBQ sauce or organic honey mustard.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 256 calories, 6g fat, 376mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, and 39g protein.